Monday, September 15, 2008

Ike Aftermath

When Ike whipped through the Galveston/Houston area early Saturday morning it left quite a mess in its wake. My parents were left with downed fences and trees. They had a neighbor's tree fall on the corner of their house with what they think is some minor damage. Also had a tree completely uproot and land on top of their carport- the carport luckily sustained no damage at all! Their garden shed was also smashed when a tree fell into it. We feel very lucky that nobody was hurt and all friends in town also seem to be fine. Electricity to their house still is not on, so please pray that will be up and running soon! Quite a few others around Friendswood seem to be starting to get power back, so hopefully it will not be too long! My parents are very thankful to have so many wonderful friends and neighbors who have shared power from their generators with them (to charge their phone and to plug in their freezer).

I feel pretty helpless out here in CA, as you can imagine. It seems very strange to me that life around me in Santa Barbara is going about it's usual course, when my heart is in TX where so many are affected. I am supposed to fly into Houston on Friday for two baby showers this next weekend. Please say a prayer that the power will come back on around town and we will be able to have the showers and I will still be able to get back home...

No comments: